Configuring the Log File Management Role
Instructions for configuring the log file management role for the log file pre-processor.
The Log File Management Role settings allow you to configure Log File Pre-Processor settings. The Log File Pre-Processor collects SmartSource Data Collector (SDC) data files from the location you specify, adds GeoTrends and DNS data to the SmartSource data files, and makes the files available to the Webtrends Visitor Data Mart components.
If you installed the Log File Management component on more than one computer or if you created a shared directory for your log file storage, you must specify the UNC path to your log file storage location in the host role settings in Webtrends.
- In the left pane, click Administration > Application Settings > System Management > Global Roles .
- Click Log File Management.
- In the Log File Source Directory text box, specify the location of your SmartSource files. Because the Log File Management component prepares the files for the Event Database Loader, modifying the original format, you should create a batch process that copies your SmartSource files from the SDC storage location to the location you specify here.
- In the Log File Extensions text box, specify the SmartSource file extension. Use a comma or a semicolon to separate multiple extensions. SmartSource files that are compressed must use the log.gz file extension. As a best practice, uncompressed SmartSource files should use the file extension log.
- Make sure the Enable GeoTrends Lookups check box is
selected. This option configures the Log File Management component to add
geographical data (state/province and country) to the SmartSource files
specified in the Log File Source Directory text box.CAUTION:The GeoTrends Server must be installed if you enable this setting or the profile processing stalls. The Visitor Data Mart cannot process any data until the GeoTrends Server is installed.
- Ensure that the Enable DNS Lookups check box is selected. This option configures the Log File Management component to add resolved domain names to the SmartSource files specified in the Log File Source Directory text box.
- If you want to specify a DNS server for the Log File Pre-Processor to use, specify the domain name or IP Address of that server in the Override DNS Server text box. Use a comma to separate multiple DNS server names or IP addresses. If your site produces large SDC data files, consider dedicating one or more DNS servers for the Log File Management component to reduce the DNS server traffic on your default DNS server. Alternatively, your local systems administrator can monitor the DNS traffic and optimize your DNS server configurations.
- If you want the Log File Pre-Processor to save the processed log files after they are prepared for the Visitor Data Mart, clear the Delete Processed Logs check box. You should only clear this check box if you plan to use these files as the data source for a Webtrends Analytics profile (such as an Express Analysis profile) or if you want to save them for reloading Visitor Data Mart. If you decide to save the processed files, you should create a batch process that moves the files to another storage location at regular intervals, because these files consume a large amount of disk space.