Selecting the Webtrends Master Database
Discusses the choice to use an existing SQL Server Standard or Enterprise Edition database, or install SQL Server Express for the Webtrends master atabase.
Webtrends Analytics uses a small database for system and configuration data. The database coordinates the work of all other components. During installation, you can choose to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition or use your own installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, Standard or Enterprise Edition.
If you choose to use your own Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise Edition database, or if you choose to install your own copy of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, you must install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 before you install the Webtrends Master Database component. Depending on how you plan to use Webtrends and the available resources on the Master Database server, you may want to dedicate a separate server to the Master Database. However, to assure proper performance and reliability, you should always install the Master Database to a dedicated SQL instance. If you plan to support additional non-Webtrends applications on separate instances of SQL Server 2008 on the same server, check the System Requirements for Analytics and Visitor Data Mart to ensure that your server’s available resources comfortably exceed the system requirements for Webtrends.
- Preparing for a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Installation
- For Visitor Data Mart installations and distributed installations of Analytics, install the appropriate versions of SQL Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise Edition as specified in the System Requirements for Analytics and Visitor Data Mart, on all computers in the installation.
- Using the Webtrends Installer to Install SQL Server 2008 Express
- The simplest way to install Analytics on one computer is to allow the Webtrends installer to install and configure SQL Server 2008 Express for you. No special preparation is required. The installer automatically loads SQL Server 2008 Express Edition onto your server, the installs the system database, and provides the host name, instance name, and port number for you.
- Using Your Own Installation of SQL Server 2008 Express
- If you plan to install Analytics on one computer only, you can install SQL Server 2008 Express Edition for the master database. Use the guidelines for installing and configuring SQL Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise Edition.
- Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 for Your Webtrends Master Database
The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 installation must be installed on a system dedicated to storing and supporting only Webtrends-related databases. While SQL Server 2008 can maintain multiple databases, the system resource and configuration requirements of the Webtrends database server environment demand a dedicated server to ensure performance and reliability.
If you plan to use SQL Server 2008 for your Webtrends master database, you must follow the installation protocol:
- Select English as the default language when you install SQL Server 2008.
- Install the SQL Server 2008 software before beginning any Webtrends product installation.
- Install the Webtrends master database on the computer that hosts the SQL Server 2008 before you install any other Webtrends Analytics software component.
- Install the SQL Server 2008 on a separate system from the Webtrends Analysis server. The Webtrends master database server should be a stand-alone database server.
- Run the installation of the Webtrends master database component on the computer that hosts the SQL Server 2008.
- Setting up Microsoft SQL Server 2008
Note: Due to issues raised by mixing languages, Webtrends only supports SQL Servers that have the SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS (case-insensitive) collation installed at the server level. The databases should then be configured with that same SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation.
- Create two empty SQL Server 2008 databases. Name one of them wtMaster and the other wt_Sched. These are the “system databases”.
- Specify a port for Webtrends services to connect to the system databases.
- Configure an account using Windows Authentication, for the purpose
of running the installer and connecting to the database. Use a
descriptive name for this account such as
wt_install. This installer account must:
- Be a member of the securityadmin and dbcreator server roles.
- Have db_owner or db_ddladmin, db_datareader, and db_datawriter permissions for the Webtrends databases.
- Enable the TCP/IP Protocol for Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
- Make a note of the host name of the computer hosting the SQL Server 2008 and the user name and password of the installing user account. You will need this information to perform installations on other computers.
- Enabling the TCP/IP Protocol for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
- If you plan to install the Visitor Data Mart components and the TCP/IP Protocol is disabled, database connection problems may occur when you set up your database from Webtrends Administration. To enable the TCP/IP protocol:
- Open the SQL Server 2008 Configuration Manager.
- Open the SQL Server Native Configuration and expand the option to show Protocols.
- In the right pane, double-click Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.
- In the right pane, note the status of TCP/IP, and, if it is disabled, right-click it and select Enable.
- In the left pane, select SQL Server Services. This populates the right pane with protocols.
- In the right pane, right-click SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) and select Restart.