Segments data comes from your Webtrends Visitor Data Mart, a rich relational database. If your Visitor Data Mart is extremely large, complex Segments requests might take some time to finish.
Each segment has a complexity indicator, shown in the catalog.
The more dots, the more complex the segment. Complex segments take more time to work with, since they have relationships and dependencies that take time to check.
Keeping Segments Nimble
Here are some things to keep in mind when building segments:
- In general, a more complex segment is a slower segment. A complex segment might:
- Contain "Or" operators. Linking two objects with an "Or" tells Segments to look for two or more different types of data. See Segment Definition Logic.
- Contain attributes that use "starts with", "ends with", or "contains" operators. These operators require a more in-depth search of the data.
- Reference a large number of events.
- Reference a large number of other segments.
- Contain several nodes that use custom time ranges.
- For large data sets, Segments uses data sampling to reduce the amount of time to produce a visitor count.